Wednesday 26 October 2011

Guidelines and Sample of Speaking Module-2

     This tip refers to the whole Speaking test. Don’t start long and complicated sentences if you don’t know how to finish them! Keep your sentences simple, and words understandable. If you make grammatical error – it’s ok to correct yourself, but don’t overdo it, you must sound fluent.

     When you hear a question, your mind automatically draws an image with the answer. You can describe this image in your own language, but when you start to describe it in English, suddenly you don’t have enough words in your vocabulary. So try to think of what part of that image you can describe, do it and stop there. Don’t let yourself show what words you don’t know by saying incomplete sentences.

It can happen that the examiner asks you a question and you don’t have a clue what is he/she talking about. Don’t panic! Just say:

• I am not sure what you mean, could you be more specific?
• Could you repeat the question, please?

If you don’t have a ready answer and you are trying to borrow some time, say:

• Well, I never thought about that, but if I do, I would say that…
• Well, it is not a simple question.

If they ask for your opinion, you can start by saying:

• In my opinion…
• I think that…
• Well, if you ask me, …
• When it comes to me, I …

You will probably have to speak in present, past and future tenses. When asked to speak about future, say:

• I am sure that (something will/won’t happen)
• It is likely/unlikely that (some event will / won’t occur)

FINALLY!!! When leaving the room after the interview, look the examiner in the eyes, smile and simply say: “Thank you for your time. Good bye”.

Isn’t life great? ☺


Here is an example of IELTS speaking module with an Asian candidates.






Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...